Privatising Core Government Functions

Karl FitzgeraldMultimedia0 Comments

Renegade Economists Show 492

As broadcast on the 3CR airwaves 5.30 – 6pm Wednesdays.
Subscribe to the weekly podcast
.

Show Notes
Mohsen Kalantari Soltanieh (Dept Infrastructure Engineering, Melbourne University) discusses the recently announced privatisation of the Victorian Land Titles office. This is mentioned in light of the privatisation of the NSW titles office and the costs imposed in Canada from such efforts. Karl does his best to stay composed.

Related Links
Mohsen on the NSW Land Titles Privatisation (The Conversation)
Mohsen – GeoSpatial and affordability
Law Society submission re NSW privatisation
Law Society press release

Hastings & Westpac

Hastings Management Pty Ltd (HMPL) is a majority owned subsidiary of Westpac, one of Australia’s largest banks by market capitalisation. Westpac acquired 51 percent of HMPL in October 2002 and the remaining 49 percent in November 2005. As part of its alignment with investors, certain Hastings employees, including key investment professionals and senior management have significant ownership in Hastings through the Long Term Incentive Plan (LTIP).

Renegade Economists’ Glossary

Here’s the Twitter and watch #LVT, #commons, #rentier.

Share with your friends, or if you could, provide an itunes review for the show. Thankyou!

Scalpel the Youth

Karl FitzgeraldMultimedia0 Comments

Renegade Economists Show 491

As broadcast on the 3CR airwaves 5.30 – 6pm Wednesdays.
Subscribe to the weekly podcast
.

Show Notes
It’s time for our our yearly budget analysis with David Collyer to discuss the latest round of political economy. Does the economics get in the way of the politics or what? $30,000 for first home buyers, $300,000 in incentives for the boomers. Later we found out it is actually $600,000.

Related Links
Collyer on incentives for boomers over youth
Victorian Budget submission
Unsplash pic

Renegade Economists’ Glossary

Here’s the Twitter and watch #LVT, #commons, #rentier.

Share with your friends, or if you could, provide an itunes review for the show. Thankyou!

Imitation Inflation

Karl FitzgeraldCommentary, Multimedia0 Comments

Renegade Economists Show 490

As broadcast on the 3CR airwaves 5.30 – 6pm Wednesdays.
Subscribe to the weekly podcast
.

Show Notes
Stepping into the big league with the CommonWealth Bank’s Snr Economist Gareth Aird on the trail of how land could be removed from the core inflation figures. Is this a valid reflection of reality? How much higher would inflation be if it was included and what would that mean for economic policy?

Related Links
Read the CBA Economic Issues on Land and Inflation
Michael Janda on Gareth Aird’s inflation findings
UK inflation
Commentary on Sweden’s inflation

Another brilliant pic from Unsplash
Renegade Economists’ Glossary

Here’s the Twitter and watch #LVT, #commons, #rentier.

Share with your friends, or if you could, provide an itunes review for the show. Thankyou!

Instinctual Sharpenings

Karl FitzgeraldMultimedia0 Comments

Renegade Economists Show 488

As broadcast on the 3CR airwaves 5.30 – 6pm Wednesdays.
Subscribe to the weekly podcast
.

Show Notes
Author of Biohistory, Jim Penman (CEO Jims Mowing), joins to discuss his analysis of the rise and fall of civilisations. We discuss the biological and behavioural underpinnings to society and how environmental factors can be managed to affect outcomes. A controversial show, we hope it pushes your thinking.

Related Links
Kondratieff Wave
18.6 year cycle

Renegade Economists’ Glossary

Here’s the Twitter and watch #LVT, #commons, #rentier.

Share with your friends, or if you could, provide an itunes review for the show. Thankyou!

Corruption, Transparency & Traction

Karl FitzgeraldMultimedia0 Comments

Renegade Economists Show 487

As broadcast on the 3CR airwaves 5.30 – 6pm Wednesdays.
Subscribe to the weekly podcast
.

Show Notes
Mark Zirnsak (Tax Justice Network) – investigator extraordinaire on tax havens, money laundering and corruption discusses the most recent report to get Karl excited – Doors Wide Open. A wide ranging discussion on the momentum towards transparency in government and business.

Related Links
Doors Wide Open – Transparency International report
Financial Action Task Force
The Sentry – War Crimes Shouldn’t Pay
Higher taxes on beer than oil and gas?

Renegade Economists’ Glossary

Here’s the Twitter and watch #LVT, #commons, #rentier.

Share with your friends, or if you could, provide an itunes review for the show. Thankyou!